Monday 22 April 2013

Sanguinius


I'm very pleased to have finally finished my rendition of the Blood Angels' Primarch Sanguinius.  Well, okay, it's not really Sanguinius.  In fact, it's not even a Games Workshop model.  This beautiful resin miniature is Scibor Monstrous Miniatures' 'Archangel' model, but with his ornate armour and sweeping wings, I couldn't resist a nod towards the most famous and tragic of the Emperor's loyal Primarchs.

It is at this point that I usually like to give an intricate (and often bloated) run-down of exactly how I painted  the miniature, but in all honesty this has been a very stop-start project.  While painting this, I also painted Ayako Ito for the Heroes For Heroes campaign, knocked out a very tabletop-standard French fleet for Dystopian Wars, as well as starting construction on a full-size M41A Pulse Rifle from the film 'Aliens'.  It has, I have to say, been a busy few weeks and I have unfortunately forgotten most of the colours I used now!

So (mercifully, for anybody reading this) instead, here are just a few of the work-in-progress images to show how the project juddered along...






















This is definitely one of those miniatures that you could just paint and paint.  There is so much detail and so much scope for extra little embellishments that you could literally keep chipping away forever.  In the end, I used the Salute 2013 painting competition as my deadline in order to stop myself from marrying myself to this miniature until my fingers dropped off!

In the end, proud though I am of this miniature, he didn't quite make the cut to get into the finals, though given the outstanding quality of all of the other entrants, there is no way that I could feel disappointed when he got to spend six hours sharing the same cabinet as them!  (And there's no shame in losing when your category was eventually won by none other than Darren Latham - whose 'Eavy Metal Masterclass I was trying to emulate with Sanguinius' armour in the first place!)

The standard at this year's Salute competition was unbelievably good, with a huge diversity of beautiful models to drool over and I can't wait for the team to post up pictures of the winning entries.  I've already got my miniature for next year's competition, which will include stuff that I haven't even got the first idea how to achieve yet.  I can't wait to get started on it!

So anyway, here are some photographs of the finished article.  I hope you like him:












Thanks for taking the time to look at Sanguinius!  As always, if you have any questions, notes or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.  In the mean time, if you want to see any more of my miniatures...


No comments:

Post a Comment